Nenets speaking areas in Russia.
Nenets is a language spoken by the Nenets people in northern Russia.
There are two major dialects with low mutual intelligibility between the two:
- Tundra Nenets (~25,000 speakers)
- Forest Nenets (~1,600 speakers)
Nenets was formerly known as Yurak or Yurak Samoyed, both now obsolete.
The finite inflectional categories are
- 16 moods: indicative, imperative, conjunctive, necessitative, interrogative, imperfective probabilitative, perfective probabilitative, obligative, imperfective approximative, perfective approximative, futuritive approximative, superprobabilitative, hyperprobabilitative, narrative, reputative, and desiderative.
- 2 tenses: aorist and preterite
- 3 conjugational classes: subjective, objective, and reflexive,
- number of object in the objective conjugation,
- person of subject, and
- number of subject: singular, dual, plural
There are also several non-finite forms.